Anons
History of the region based on the materials of archeological excavations is being opened on the lowest floor of the Church of the Presentation of the Virgin in the Temple with the refectory. It is the first full exhibition representing archaeology of the Belozersk district in the Vologda Region. Materials of the monastery archeology are displayed for the first time in our region. More than 4000 archeological objects dating back to different chronological periods are represented there: from the Mesolithic period (9000 B.C.) till the late Middle Ages.
At the end of the 20th early 21st century considerable restoration work has been carried out in the Kirillo-Belozersky museum-reserve. Museumfication of the monuments is being realized at the same time. One of the most interesting architectural buildings of the Kirillo-Belozersky monastery is the Monks cells. In the process of its restoration architects and restorers managed to discover complicated structure of this dwelling house of the 17th-19th centuries.
Exhibitions dedicated to the folk applied art and handicrafts of the Belozersk district are placed in the spacious vaulted chambers of the monastery cook-house of the 16th century. An important place is occupied by wood-carving, ceramics, peasant embroidery, weaving, lace-making and a folk female costume of the 19th-early 20th centuries.

News

18.09.2015

House will be opened for visitors for the first time during many years. An exhibition of Vologda’s artists will be held there. The history of this building is inseparably connected with the history of the town beginning from its construction and up to the present.


The red brick building well-known to many people was erected in 1916 thanks to the money of merchant Petr Simonov. The native of Kirillov lived in St. Petersburg and died in 1910. “Wishing to leave fond memories of himself in his native town”, he bequeathed 212 thousand rubles to the needs of Kirillov. 80 thousand rubles were to be spent on the construction of the Gostiny Dvor (shopping arcade). Petr Simonov indicated both the function and the place where the building was to be located. The merchants will was executed. But a new stage in the life of the Gostiny Dvor started after the October Revolution. The First District Congress of Soviets was held there in December 1917. Since 1918, it was called Peoples House. However, it is also known as Red Rows among modern residents of Kirillov. A folk theater, a district cultural centre, a library, and shops used to be situated in this building at different times. It gradually began to dilapidate and all institutions and organizations moved to other edifices. The Peoples House was empty within the last few years. In 2014, the district authorities handed it over for the free use of the Kirillo-Belozersky Museum-Reserve. And restoration started.


The long-expected event is scheduled for September 22 – the museum will present the first display in the Peoples House. It will be opened on the ground floor of the building at 12:30. Visitors will be able to see pictures of Vologdas artists and works of art of the 19th-21st centuries at the exhibition In the Wake of Centuries. The presented articles were given by the Kirillo-Belozersky Museum-Reserve, the Museum of Dionisys Frescoes and the Vologda Regional Picture Gallery.

We invite everybody to attend the opening ceremony of the display!

We look forward to seeing you at the event!