Church of St. Sergey Radonezhsky | 1560-94

The church of St. Sergey Radonezhsky with a refectory was constructed on the territory of the Small Ivanovsky monastery which formed a part of the Kirillo-Belozersky monastery ensemble. This Small Ivanovsky monastery was subordinated to the Big Assumption monastery and only in the second half of the 16th century it got independence. Some researchers considered that the church was built with the donations of Ivan the Terrible and his sons. For the first time it was mentioned in the monastery inventory of 1601. The generally accepted year of its construction (1560) came from the consecration date of the side-chapel dedicated to Dionisy Glushitsky (the corporal is being preserved in the Kirillov museum).

In 1594 when the tier of bells decorated with ogee-arches was added to the church it was consecrated once again. The building was crowned with two domes (above the church and the side-chapel).

In 1621-1635 the church was rebuilt because of its bad conditions: the arches for bells were bricked in, the belfry itself was placed on the northern parvis attached to the refectory.

At present the church belongs to the functional monastery.

leave comment